This spring we are happy to be hosting gardening workshops free of charge to patrons. These will be presented by Master Gardeners from the Sedgwick County Extension Office. Join us to get your gardens and plants ready for a great year!
Come join us as we celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and promote our library to the community.
This is an event for adults to attend, along with children and teens that would be interested and able to participate appropriately. Hot tea and refreshments will be provided during speaking entertainment. We hold this event as a fundraiser to promote the library within the community. Guests are encouraged to bring their personal tea service to use and ‘show off’ and (if interested) any table decorations to match the Harry Potter theme. A donation of $5.00 per person is suggested to go towards the fundraiser for the library.
We are holding this at the Community Center this year due to some work being done at the library, and to allow more seating for the event.
The Belle Plaine City Council has approved the Comprehensive Plan. You can access the plan through their website, www.bpks.org, though a PDF at the very bottom of the home page. We also have a copy here at the library for the public to read on-site.
The 2016 summer reading theme is On Your Mark, Get Set, READ! We will have activities covering games, staying active, healthy living, outdoor activities and more! Join us each Wednesday in June and July at 10:00 am for activities and presentations that won’t disappoint. We have a few outside presenters coming this year and we are very excited! All youth (preschool through middle school) should find something to enjoy at these activities. Two adult events are listed below and teen events will be announced soon. These events are for all adults and teens, you don’t have to be participating in the summer reading program to attend!
Reading logs will be available to track minutes read for youth, and there will be small incentives for each 100 minutes read. Teens and adults will track hours read. Each age level (youth, teen, adult) will have the chance to enter to win a grand prize. The more you read, the more chances you will have of winning!
See the attached Calendar for all dates and activities!
The challenge is to read one book a month, picking them according to this list! You are free to try for them all if you wish as well!
1. Print off a copy of this photo or come to the library to pick one up.
2. Write your book titles/authors on the back of the sheet with the number they correspond to.
3. Try to check out any books you don’t already own from us at the Belle Plaine Public Library. Don’t forget we can order books through Inter-Library Loan if we don’t have it on our shelves.
4. Participate in our monthly posts here on Facebook to see what everyone is reading for the month, we look forward to hearing about all the books everyone chooses!
5. In June and December we will post for you to bring in your sheet showing what you have read and you will be entered for a drawing to win a free book!
We will work on creating some suggested books for each number if you are struggling to find one, just ask!
Here is a list of all of our materials and resources! Contact us if you are curious about anything else!
– Books for all ages
– Large Print
– Audio Books (CD’s and Playaways)
– Kansas and local
– DVD’s (adult and children)
– Cake pans
– Computers for public use
– Free wireless internet for mobile devices
– Ability to print in color (25 cents/page) or black/white (10 cents/page)
– Ability to copy in black/white (10 cents/page)
– Microfilm of the Belle Plaine News back to the 1800’s
-Online databases for research, work, and more
– Tables for studying, working or meetings
– Ability to reserve a table for a public group to meet
– Events and activities for adults and kids!
Visit our library catalog and log-in with you library card number to search our collection, request items, renew items you have checked out and update other information about your account. Stop into the library if you would like a hands on demonstration and we would be happy to help!