March 13, 2020:
For the safety of our community, Belle Plaine Public Library is taking the following measures to help prevent the spread of Covid-19:
1. Removing toys from the children’s area.
2. Removing some seating to promote Social Distancing.
3. Increasing our already diligent cleaning strategies. This does include wiping down all items that are returned to the library before reshelving them.
4. Continuing to checkout items, but patrons are encouraged to locate items and not linger for extended periods of time.
5. Waiving overdue fines for items currently out and any checked out for the foreseeable future. This way patrons do not have to worry about returning items on time if they or immediate family are sick.
6. Cancelling programs until further notice to promote Social Distancing.
A few reminders that may be helpful:
– Our Wifi access is on and always accessible outside the library in the parking areas.
-You are able to browse our online catalog and place items on hold that way or you may call the library directly for us to pull them for you and have ready at the desk.
We will be continuing to monitor if any further actions are needed and if the schools close the library will be closed as well.
Belle Plaine Public Library
is adding a mural!
We have been working for a few years now to add a mural to the large courtyard wall that is in our back patio. We finally have an artist, a design finalized and we are going to begin the prep and paint process soon! As we get started on the actual painting process we are looking for a little support from those that are willing.
The amount that we had budgeted for this project came in a little shorter than we had hoped, so we are wanting to raise up to $800 by September 23rd to help cover the costs of supplies. This will ensure that the artists can receive the full amount for their time, design, and labor. If you are interested in donating any amount to this project, please visit the library during business hours to make your donation. We can also provide a Donation Receipt for tax purposes for those that ask. Call 620-488-3431 with questions.
Timeline: Ideally, we hope that if we can raise the funds needed by September 21st the artists can begin painting at the end of September to be done just a few weeks later! We will be having an Open House/Mural Unveiling event once it is ready and will be inviting the whole community out to visit our courtyard and the new artwork. More details about this event will be announced when they are available.
About the mural: When we were first imagining adding this mural to our space we realized we wanted it to be a design that all Belle Plaine residents could connect with, not just those that are readers. We worked with an artist to formulate a mural that has iconic scenes from around Belle Plaine and we are very excited to share it with the community! We hope the courtyard can be a place for anyone in the community to come relax during library hours.